Heartland Baptist Church was conceived in 1956 when Bellevue city residents sought the Omaha Grace Baptist Church to start a “work” in their town. In response, 4 families from Omaha Grace Baptist Church committed themselves to the endeavor along with some other local believers. On September 16, 1956, HBC got its start at the Bellevue Roxy Theatre with 61 present for their first service. In 6 months attendance grew to 100.
Increased attendance and continued interest in the church prompted Grace Baptist Church to purchase 4 lots at 20th Avenue and Main Street to construct a permanent place of worship.
Ground was broken on May 5th, 1957 with construction beginning on Memorial Day. 90 percent of the membership, including women, participated in the construction.
On December 22nd, 1957 the congregation held their first service in the basement of the church. Since 1957, several additions have been made to the facility.
The church was named Bellevue Baptist Church and in 1994 the church’s name was changed to Heartland Baptist Church.